Message From the Mayor
Golf Cart Conditions
Golf carts are considered “low
speed motor vehicles” by Denton town ordinances. As such, they may be driven on public streets, but ONLY if all of the
following revised conditions are met first:
The golf cart must have an annual Inspection Permit from the Denton Police Department.
who operates a golf cart on a public street must be at least 16 years of age and hold a valid driver’s license.
2. The owner must have valid insurance on their golf cart.
4. Golf carts may be
operated only on streets with a maximum posted speed limit of 35 MPH.
5. Golf carts can be driven
across Hwy 109, but may not be driven on the highway.
6. Seatbelts must be worn by the driver and
by every passenger.
7. Small children must be secured in a child safety seat, just as they would
be in a regular vehicle.
8. The golf cart must have brake lights, head lights and tail lights.
9. Golf carts must obey all traffic laws, including maintaining a safe and proper speed—not too fast
and not too slow, and not traveling side-by-side.
10. Golf carts may not be driven on public streets
outside the town limits. Town ordinances provide driving privileges for carts only within the town.
Golf carts are prohibited from riding or parking on the sidewalk.
To make sure your golf cart is in compliance with the town statutes, visit the Denton Police Department at
101 West Newsome Avenue, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., or call the Department at 336-859-2164.